Each year, CORO invites 32 emerging vocal artists to spend a portion of their summer at Simpson College immersing themselves in choral music. Young Artists typically are vocal performance and music education majors currently pursuing their undergraduate degree or has completed their undergraduate degree with minimal or no professional choral experience. The Young Artist program is designed to provide the experience for these vocalists to move forward as a professional ensemble vocalist. The Young Artists live on the picturesque Simpson College campus while working with the CORO Artistic Staff and Simpson College faculty each day. The artists rehearse daily as a small ensemble to prepare choral repertoire for concert performances and recordings.
Submission Materials Guidelines:
CV should include education and any professional and collegiate vocal engagements.
Recordings should be of two classical selections from contrasting time periods. At least one selection must be in a foreign language.
CORO Young Artists reside on the Simpson Campus for a three-week period during the season. Young Artist benefits include:
- $300.00 stipend for each three-week session
- Housing for the entire residency
- Daily rehearsals of choral literature where artists are able to improve their sight-reading skills, ensemble singing, and musicality while working with multiple conductors
- Optional observation of a graduate vocal pedagogy course while on campus
- Optional observation of a graduate choral literature course while on campus
- Ample rehearsal space for individual practice
- Optional observation of rehearsals and performances of the Des Moines Metro Opera Summer Season
- Sing in multiple concerts with the CORO Vocal Artists
- Act as covers for MasterWork soloists and sing as the core of the Festival Chorus
Applicants can request to participate in either one or both of the two sessions: